- We were founded and directed by the Ursuline Sisters of Youngstown since 1963.
- We are licensed by the Ohio Department of Education.
- We have a large, colorful play center with a stage and library, a school clinic , a computer lab.
- We place a high attention to security measures, including cameras and locked doors.
Our Goals Include:
The Ursuline Preschool and Kindergarten, rooted in the Catholic traditions, will bring the light of Jesus to its students as we:
- Pray together
- Promote academic excellence
- Improve self-esteem
- Assist children in building relationships with other children
- Enable the children to develop independence
- Encourage the development of fine and gross motor skills and the development of language skills
- Serve the needs of our community
- Encourage the children to give of themselves.
- Reinforce the love and wonder of reading and nature.
The teaching staff at the Ursuline Preschool and Kindergarten truly understands the development of children and realizes the importance of using each opportunity as a teachable moment.
Our teachers and assistants are carefully selected, specifically trained and directed by the Director and principal of the Ursuline Preschool and Kindergarten to provide our students with a higher quality of education. Our teachers serve as a link between the child, the learning environment and you, the parent.
All of our teachers are fully trained and certified by the Department of Education of the State of Ohio.
All of our teaching assistants are trained by the Director of the Ursuline Preschool and Kindergarten and their classroom teachers.
All staff members are certified in First Aid and CPR and participate in various continuing education programs in the fields of early childhood education.
We also hold monthly drills (fire, earthquake, stranger on site, etc.) to ensure the safety of all students and staff.
Lilian Desmond Ranz, a famous New York stage actress, donated the property on the corner of Raccoon and Shields roads. Her husband requested the Ursuline Sisters use it as a preschool facility.
On September 8th, 1963, Sr. Edith Weir, our first director, began the preschool. As director she was followed by Sr. Martina Casey.
Sr. Jacquelyn Herpy was our director from June of 1996 until her death in 2001.
Sr. Jan Gier served in the position from 2001-2006.
Since 2006 Sr. Charlotte Italiano has been the director. We are very proud that our Preschool and Kindergarten is 47 years old this September (2010).
We would like to thank Sr. Nancy Dawson and the Ursuline Sisters, who have been very supportive of the Ursuline Preschool and Kindergarten. We have been blessed to have had many Ursuline Sisters on the staff during these past 47 years.